"For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God. Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever." Psalm 86 10-12

Friday, August 23, 2013

I almost died... well could have almost maybe

Unfortunately (for you...not me) I didn't have another baby in the bathroom.  But, even still, I decided it was time for another update.  Especially since I nearly lost my life the other day.... or something.

It was a Saturday morning, and Ben decided to take Caleb to the park since he'd been telling him all week that Saturday was the BIG park day.  He had left about 15 minutes earlier, and I was sitting on my bed (in inappropriate attire....) feeding my sweet Gracie bean.  All the sudden I heard the front door open.  I'm generally a pretty jumpy/paranoid person, so I wondered if I was hearing things.  I stopped and listened..... and then was POSITIVE that the door had not only opened, but closed and there was someone walking around in my house.  This is how I was feeling.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I quickly got up and put on some appropriate clothing ;) (you DEFINITELY want to be fully covered when an intruder comes to get you....) and shut my door as quietly as possible and locked it.  I think it's the first time I've ever locked my door.... (my kids are still little and Caleb can't even turn the handle..... which I found out when he locked himself in his room the other day.... that's another story)

Then, I texted Ben and said.... "Are you home?!" "I feel like there's someone in our house..."  I continued to hear walking around and decided that shouting "HELLO!? WHO IS IT!" would be silly since my ultimate plan was not to let the intruder know I was home.  I was honestly hoping that he would take all of my belongings thinking no one was home and then LEAVE.  I kept shoving Grace's paci in her mouth to keep her quiet.  I was basically just standing there staring at the door wondering what would happen next.

And then... all of the sudden there was a VEERRRRRY creepy, quiet knock on MY DOOR!
"Knock.... Knock...... Knock....."

This is how I was feeling.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I was terrified.  I slowly walked to my closet and stood in it holding Grace and PRAYING and rehearsing verses like... "what can man do to me?"

I texted Ben and said...

"Someone is knocking on the door"
"can you come home?"

Now, you may be wondering.  Why is she texting Ben when he is at the park instead of calling 911?  Well, that is a very good question.  I was afraid that it wasn't actually an intruder and then if I called the police and it wasn't a big deal, it would be bad.  You know, you don't want the police over for a false alarm.

SO, then I decided to call Ben since he wasn't responding to my texts.  So he answered... and I heard the swing squeaking in the background...

in my softest whisper "Ben....there's someone in the house"
Ben: I can't hear you...

again in my softest whisper "There is someone in our house"
Ben: (a little frustrated/impatient with me) What? I can't hear you..

So, I hung up thinking that he'd look at his phone and see my text messages....which he did.

What happened next is just what I was told by Ben since I was obviously not at the park but instead in the closet clinging to my baby...

Ben ripped Caleb out of the swing and threw him on his shoulders and ran as fast as he could with Caleb screaming and crying "I wanna go a park!"  And Ben saying "Stop crying Caleb!  Mommy needs us!!"

He sprinted all the way home in his flip flops with a 35 pound screaming child on his shoulders.

Please take a moment to applaud him.

And then remember that I'm still standing in my closet wondering what to do...and silently FREAKING out.

A few minutes later I heard the beautiful sound of Caleb crying and knew BEN was home!!!  

Honestly, what I thought would happen.  He would come up and say "Melanie, there is no one here"  And then I would KNOW that someone had been in our house, and I would be scared for the rest of my life.

Instead.... He came upstairs banged on the door-- announced himself (because I waited for that even though I heard him come home... HAHAHAH!) and then said breathing really heavily..

"It's Becky."

Yes, the intruder was my sister in law.....

Then Ben collapsed on the floor and said something about almost having a heart attack and feeling like his legs were going to fall off....  And then I was filled with love for Ben because he came to save me ;) ... and then Becky felt really bad... and then I started laughing... and then Ben said he was taking Caleb back to the park... but this time taking the van. ... and then I remembered that I knew at one point that Becky was coming over but just forgot.... and then I was SO glad I didn't call 911. And then Ben said his back hurt and the only solution was a backrub from me....

And you may be thinking I'm nuts... like super paranoid... because it's very unlikely that someone would walk into your house in broad daylight.....on a Saturday.

But I say to you...

it's unlikely that you'd be held up at gunpoint in your front yard....
it's unlikely that you'd be in a tornado....
and it's unlikely that  you'd have your baby in your bathroom....

I'd say, I've experienced too many unlikely events to not be a LITTLE extra jumpy.... at least I think they're unlikely....

So there.

Aren't you glad I survived?  I am... especially since the Jehovah's Wintessess are coming back today ;)

Ohhh yeah =)

-Melanie








6 comments:

  1. Boy, Becky will never enter a house w/o saying "it's me Becky!" again! lol! My sister actually did call 911 when she went thru something similar and they were happy to oblige! Better safe than sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I will be sure to call right before coming over next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to get a gun in the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You trust her with a gun? Just what Becky needs bullets flying through the bedroom door at her as she's knocking on it softly! HAHA! Someone that jumpy does not need a gun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha I am cracking up over this!! Mel, your stories are the BEST!! Glad you're okay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Melanie! Glad to hear everything ended up okay! I'm Heather and I was hoping you could answer a quick question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete