"For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God. Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever." Psalm 86 10-12

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Smother, smiles, park, school, Cubs & Bible

I am a child smotherer.  That means, I smother children. When a child has cheeks like this, it compels me to smother them.  AHHHHHHHH. Wouldn't you?


Mr. Freak-out-cry-pants aka Andrew, has been a bit better lately! Although usually once a day he has some sort of meltdown where he cannot be soothed, it is for a much shorter period of time than it was. He's been sleeping like a champ, so I'm thrilled with the progress we've made.  He's three months by the way. (Say what!??!)  Someone asked me today, and I basically was scrambling to figure out how old he was.  I'm an awesome mom, and I'm sure they thought so too. 

Here he is! His smiles are the sweetest. 


And here's Kedzie.  I know, he's huge.  I think Grace loves him the most now of the kids.


Lately it seems like Ben is rarely home.  We were going a little stir crazy one day by ourselves, and I decided that after nap and a really quick supper, we would go to the park since it was WARM.  I invited my mom.  By the time we were ready to leave and all packed up in the car, it started raining.  We went anyway because you don't go through all that trouble of packing up the kids and rushing for nothing. And guess what?! We were the only moms there! Can you believe it? ...  We weren't the only people there though, there were some unruly pre-teens shouting like wild maniacs about how one of them "freaking lied" (at least that's the phrase I heard 3,000 times).  Caleb and Grace watched intently... of course.  We were laughing hysterically at the ridiculous situation.   


We decided to leave after not too long, and we told the kids we were going somewhere for a surprise.  (Mom offered to take us for ice cream).  After we told them about it, I had second thoughts.  Like, "Oh, we forgot the baby's car seat...." and... "Oh, it will take forever, and it's almost bed time" and.. "Oh, then we have to get them all out and back in while it's raining again."  Anyway, due to the trauma of canceling the surprise, I made a one-of-a-kind scavenger hunt.  Trust me, it was stellar.  Ok it wasn't, but Caleb was pleased and requested to do it again and again and "every day".  I highly recommend making scavenger hunts.  I'll do it again when we're going crazy in the Winter.  

This little kiddo becomes more of a stinker all the time: Like when I was busy making dinner, and she was stealing bread off the table.  She was so proud of herself. 

I LOVE having a child who can read! A big reason is, he can read to his little sisters! YES! How sweet is this?!


Speaking of reading reminds me of homeschooling. Although I will admit again that I had no part in Caleb's learning to read. If you ask him, he says "Preschool Prep" taught him to read. The dvds are awesome.  Here's my little boy working hard at Kappers' Academy though I'm still not set on the name.

The Cubs.  You know, the World Series Champs?  Well, we had some kids from the youth group over to watch.  The highs were high, an the lows were low.  See below... 

This was a very serious part. 

 There was pure joy.


I smile looking at these., and it's not just because Aaron is in the background wrapped in a blanket.  It was an insane game, and watching these hooligans was pretty funny.  After the game, someone set off fireworks in our back yard.  Thankfully it rained because when they were shooting them into my tree, and I remembered I have no hose, I was glad for the wet branches.  I was also glad for my enormous husband who shielded me from flying firework sparks and took one for the team on his arm.  Thanks Ben, my valiant protector. 

This bad boy is my favorite Bible story book I think.  We're not quite finished with it, but the kids and I both love it.  We read a story each morning after breakfast, and the kids are usually asking for it because they look forward to it. 
The bad news is that the picture is sideways.  The good news is that I bet you can still see it.  

The neighbor kids have been coming over to play in our mulch pile in the back lately.  Isn't that cute? For the most part I like it. BUT, the one girl is what some might refer to as a "toxic friend".  You know, the kind that ride their motorized scooters and run around in the middle of the road, are constantly screaming at you when you're playing, and tell everyone that you used to be monkeys..

I'm trying to figure out how to handle that situation because the ole' Proverb, "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" may be ringing true here.  The good news is that they played inside my house today, and I was able to make some rules since it's my house. For example: In my house, I don't allow people to yell at each other.
Unless of course it's me, and I'm screaming at my dog.... HAHHAHAHHA. Not funny.  But sometimes.. he makes me CRAZY.  

Anyway, I think I'll go plan out my day tomorrow.  I've recently found that's key to maintaining some order, staying productive, and having reasonable goals each day. But... maybe I'll just go to bed. ;) 
Over and out,
--Melanie 



No comments:

Post a Comment