"For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God. Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever." Psalm 86 10-12

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Some catch up.

So what's new since April?! Yikes!

I got strep FIVE times from Feb-June.  Caleb also got strep 4-5 times during that time also and ended up getting his tonsils out in late July.  After 3 health professionals (including one naturally minded) told me that it was time for them to go, I had confidence that it was the best thing for him.  My mom had taken Caleb to the ENT the final time he was sick. (I was sick and at the doctor myself, so I couldn't go), and she booked an appt for the first date they were available to do surgery.  I was antsy to get it over with, so I was glad. BUT, that meant that Ben was out of town for it.  So, I brought my BABY to the surgery center alone, and when they took him away on the rolling bed, I bawled my eyes out.  The nurse hugged me and told me I was "normal". She also told me to go get something to eat and drink in the waiting room.  I felt like an idiot for bawling especially since the other mothers seemed to be managing just fine...AND because she was telling me to eat/drink as if I was the patient. HA! Here's Caleb before they gave him the loopy drugs. I'd say he was handling it like a total CHAMP! 

and here's after the loopy drugs (before surgery just to calm him down)..... 


The surgery went well.  Surgery was at 7am and we were HOME by 9:30am.  It was crazy.  In the car Caleb was talking to me, and later that morning I had to yell "STOOOOOOOOOP" when I caught him eating pretzels. AHHHH! We were having a garage sale at the same time (I know, brilliant), and another kid was over watching a movie with Caleb...and he was generous in sharing his snack.  

Anyway, this whole strep thing has really given me more compassion and adoration? for families who have children with medical problems.  I was SO WEARY from all of this, and the constant medical bills is/was INSANE.  So, I can't even imagine what it would be like to have more serious surgeries, more doctor's appointments, and more medical bills.  Hats off to you parents where this is normal for you.  God was very kind to me during this whole strep saga (also affectionally called the Kappers' family health disaster), and I'm very grateful for that.  Also, there's really no reason why the crazy strep cycle stopped, so I'm just praising God for ending it!! And, I'm so thankful for sweet friends/church people/parents who helped me during all of our sickness etc.  

Caleb's job is to unload the dishwasher.  Grace helps too, but it's mainly Caleb's job. A few times this summer he had friends over when the dishwasher needed unloading.  The first time I asked him to do it, he asked his friend if he would like to help him.  The friend agreed and together they unloaded the dishwasher while chatting about where things went and how tall the other kid was because he could actually reach the place where the plates went.  A few days passed, and it happened again.  This time when I said the dishwasher needed to be unloaded, they both jumped up to help.  The boy had a sister who was also over, and she said it was time to go home.  He said "OK, but let me finish unloading first" I heard later that when his sister got home his parents asked where her brother was.  She said "He's unloading the dishwasher at Caleb's house" HAHAHHAHHAHA.  Apparently his dad said "He's doing WHAT?!"  Anyway, I talked to his mom about it because I didn't want her to think I was forcing him to work at my house, but she was perfectly pleased that he was helping around our house. His friends have also helped him sweep, and every time I have little children happily cleaning, my heart sings, and I start laughing.  


Caleb never seems to have a shirt on.  I'm not sure why, and I usually don't even notice until company comes over, or I post a picture on my blog.  Oops..... 

We went to the zoo a couple times this summer, and here's an awesome photo.  I'll call this one "Crabby mom telling children to smile and move from behind the stroller while mother-in-law takes a picture of her fingers" 


A goal in life for me is to wake early before the kids do and spend time in the Word and in prayer.  I also want to be the parent who is awake before the kids, so my kids don't remember their lazy mom always being in bed when they wake up. Silly? Maybe.  Anyway, I've been waking early, but not early enough BECAUSE lately, I almost always have an Anna joining me...  And while the rule is that the kids don't get out of bed until 7:00 (seven dot dot zero zero.) Anna is still lacking in the self control department, and I'd rather have her reading by me than waking up her siblings.  We'll work on that.  So here she is visiting me, a common occurrence.  And sometimes Caleb gets up early, and we'll pray together, which is basically the sweetest thing in the entire world.... except that my read through the Bible in a year schedule suffers.  


Caleb was invited to our neighbor's birthday party at Munster pool, but it was two days after his surgery and he couldn't go.  They gave him a goody bag anyway, which was really sweet.  It had cherry pepsi "chapstick" in it...... it looks like he got into my make up bag, but rest assured, he didn't. 

That's a picture of him at the Railcats game the kid's earned tickets to at the library, and it was very fun!

We went to the splash pad the other day, and Drewbie loved it!! He got soaking wet and had no trouble!!! YESSS!!! Doesn't he look tiny crawling through there!? He's WALKING by the way.  Still crawls more than walks, but he's definitely choosing to walk more.  Yay! I love when kids walk because then my poor back doesn't need to suffer hauling them around everywhere! 

And here's a random picture to leave you with.  They were standing there snuggling like this, and I just thought it was the sweetest. 


Oh actually, go read "Hiding Place". I just finished it (haven't read it in years), and it's SO GOOD!!!

Over and out,
Melanie


No comments:

Post a Comment